Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu: Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, 58, is the 15th chief minister of Himachal Pradesh after the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) chose him as its leader Saturday evening, putting an end to nearly two days of high drama and a tug-of-war in the hill state that gave Congress the mandate in the recently concluded elections. Mukesh Agnihotri, 60, will be the deputy chief minister. Sukhu is a four-term MLA from Hamirpur’s Naudaun constituency.
Congress leader Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu takes oath as the chief minister of Himachal Pradesh at a ceremony in Shimla pic.twitter.com/ImX8kmkl3n
— ANI (@ANI) December 11, 2022
Sukhu came from humble beginnings as the son of a road transport corporation driver. In his early days, he worked at a milk counter in Chhota Shimla. He received his MA and LLB from Himachal Pradesh University and was elected twice to the Shimla Municipal Corporation council.
Aside from Sukhu, MP Pratibha Singh and Mukesh Agnihotri were seen as frontrunners in the race for CM. On Sunday, Agnihotri will take the oath of office as Sukhu’s deputy.
I invite all to be the part of my swearing in ceremony today at 1.30 , Ridge , Shimla . I look forward all to grace the occasion as this win is dedicated to the people of Himachal Pradesh .
Seeking the blessings and best wishes
Jai Himachal pic.twitter.com/vvlMhTvu9R
— Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu (@SukhuSukhvinder) December 11, 2022
Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu: All You Need To Know About New CM of Himachal Pradesh
- Sukhu, a 58-year-old MLA from Nadaun in Hamirpur, is a four-term legislator and former Himachal Pradesh Congress chief.
- Sukhu is well-known for his close relationship with senior Congress leader Rahul Gandhi.
- Sukhu was the main face of the Congress campaign committee ahead of the Himachal Pradesh elections.
- Sukhu joined the Congress party while still in college. He rose through the ranks of the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI) to become the state president of the party State Youth Congress.
— ANI (@ANI) December 10, 2022
5. “I was never in any race for any post and would not be in the future,” Sukhu said after the party named him as the CM candidate. I work for the Congress party. I never yearned for any particular post. The party has given me so much, and it is my duty to follow the party’s orders.”
6. Several leaders, including state Congress chief Pratibha Singh, Virbhadra Singh’s wife, and outgoing Assembly leader Mukesh Agnihotri, were also vying for the position of chief minister.
7. When he won the assembly election from Nadaun in Hamirpur district in 2003, the new Himachal CM achieved a major victory for the first time. He then retained the seat in 2007, but was defeated in 2012 before winning it back in 2017 and 2022.