The Assam cabinet approved three more flyovers in Guwahati on Tuesday. Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced this at a press conference held in Silchar following the cabinet meeting, which was held for the first time in Barak Valley.
The new flyovers will be built in front of the Down Town Hospital, as well as at Kumarpara and Fatasil Ambari.
The chief minister stated that the DPR for the flyovers will be prepared and will take one year to complete.
For the first time in the state’s history, CM Himanta Biswa Sarma convened a special cabinet meeting in Silchar.
On February 19, 2021, the Assam government announced the establishment of a Mini Secretariat in Silchar for three districts in the Barak Valley in order to bring the government to the people’s doorstep.
This is, however, the first time a state cabinet meeting has been held in Silchar, the main town of Barak Valley.
Himanta Biswa Sarma also laid the foundation stone for a road widening & guard wall project on both sides of Rangirkhal channel in Silchar town.
The Rs. 42.06-cr project will rejuvenate the 17-km channel, which carries a huge volume of rain & stormwater and mitigate urban floods to a great extent.
Decisions regarding Barak Valley:
1. The Chief Minister expressed satisfaction at the overwhelming response of the people of Barak valley to take an active part in the celebration of Bir Lachit Barphukan’s 400th birthday.
2. GC College will be elevated to the status of a state university.
3. Rs59 crore sanctioned for new embankment construction in Bethukandi, Silchar
4. Mohisha Beel will be designated as a protected area soon.
5. A 10-kilometer-long elevated flyover will be constructed in Ramnagar, Silchar. However, the India Club must be demolished in order for that construction to take place. The CM left it up to the people of Silchar to decide. The flyover will not be built if people oppose the demolition of the India Club.
6. Another flyover was approved near the Kalain sinking site.
7. Mini Secretariat has been allocated Rs.135 crore.
8. In Dholai and Lakhipur, two new degree model colleges will be built (Binnakandi)
9. A milk processing unit worth Rs.81 crore will be built in Silchar, producing 1.5 lakh litres of milk daily.
10. A one-time grant of Rs. 10 crore has been approved for DSA Silchar.
11. Assam cabinet decided that Silchar Medical College will be extended as govt will establish another super specialty 200-bed section. The cabinet approved Rs.650 crore for the establishment of a medical college in Karimganj.
12. A new 300-bed section of the Silchar District Hospital will be built at a cost of Rs.146 Cr 13. Narsing High School, DN High School (Udharbond), and Cachar High School will each receive Rs.10 crore. Silchar Central Jail will be relocated to Lakhipur, and the current jail site will be transformed into a botanical garden.